NHM 484 Hospitality Management Internship
Individually planned work experience in one or more segments of the hospitality industry, which must be approved by the instructor. This course is a supervised internship in an appropriate hospitality operation earning three hours credit, and is required of all students whose major is in Hospitality Management. Internships can be completed locally, regionally, nationally or internationally.
The purpose of the Internship in Hospitality Management is to provide students an opportunity to develop applied competence in the food and beverage service, lodging management, casino, events, tourism, cruising, club management, managed services and meetings and conventions operations of the hospitality industry through structured on-the-job learning experiences in commercial and/or institutional establishments. Students who complete the internship will:
- Develop the ability to learn from a total job environment, utilizing available resources to develop technical, human, and conceptual competence in managing hospitality operations;
- Develop the ability to work within an ongoing business enterprise, meeting performance standards set for regular employees and management;
- Demonstrate individual performance in task areas related to management of a hospitality operation;
- Demonstrate professionalism and accountability in meeting all commitments necessary to be successful in managing a specific area of hospitality operations;
- Make consistent contributions to the work commitments of the hospitality operation in which the learning experience occurs.
Pre-Internship 200 Hours
The Program’s Pre-Intership requires gaining 200 industry hours (total) during the Freshman, Sophomore, and Junior years. Although many of these hours are accrued by assisting in departmental and campus wide events, working in the local hospitality industry, and volunteer experiences within the Lafayette-Oxford-University community, students may also pursue opportunities in other locations such as their hometown. Faculty will make recommendations and approve appropriate work sights for students.
If you are a hospitality operation seeking interns or simply wanting to post job opportunities, please go to the Ole Miss Hospitality Alumni and Student Group Facebook page, http://www.facebook.com/groups/210543539003243/ Request to join the group. After receiving access, you will be able to post your own professional announcements.
You may also contact Ms. Candis Couch Varnell, Intership Director at: firstname.lastname@example.org